Dear loyal cleansers,
Thank you for your interest in the 6th (!!!!) annual mind/body/spirit reflection during the ten days between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. Our New Year is creeping up on us fast!
Most of you are familiar with The Cleanse — our annual annual whole foods diet intended to provoke reflection on the mind/body/spirit connection during these ten days. Year 5778 is round 6, and it’s the 3rd year we’re asking participants to join in on an additional challenge. This time, we’ll be raising money for the Southern Poverty Law Center. The challenge has many steps so PAY ATTENTION!
1. Pledge a donation amount (write it in an email to be held accountable! Or pledge here: https://donate.splcenter.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=463)
2. Take an action each day of the cleanse. We will provide a list of actions including: call a representative, participate in a community-building or charity event, talk to people you might not normally talk to. Each time you take an action, subtract $5 from your pledge. A generous, anonymous donor will match the dollars you subtract for actions (up to $50 per person), so everyone wins! Pledge high and take lots of action!
3. Tell us about it! Blogs are passe, but we’re continuing it anyway and would love to hear about your actions. Shoot us an email and with your permission, we’ll write a post from you to the people.
4. Eat a whole foods, vegan diet (see rules below)
We (cleansers live all over the world!) have raised nearly $1000 for global food justice via American Jewish World Service and Kitchens for Good. Let’s double our impact for 5778!
We hope that this cleanse will not only spark reflection on our own, personal health, but also on how we can contribute to the well-being and safety of others. We think that this challenge will inspire gratitude and reflection on the resources in our lives.
We will continue to post recipes and send resources that we find related to social justice, anti-racisim work — we encourage you to do the same. Shoot us an email with a reflection, recipe or question, and we’ll throw it up on the blog (and give you credit unless you specify otherwise). Also, send us your beautiful food photos to share! And if you’re a I-grammer tag your posts #10yamimclean
If you’re interested in joining the Cleanse this year, please let us know so we can include you on the list with updates and inspirations. It only lasts ten days: shortest newsletter ever. Even if you’re planning to challenge yourself for one of those days, we want you along for the ride.
Thank you for coming along on this adventure with us.
Arielle and Shaina
For the ten days between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, we will undertake an intensive reflection of the mind/body/spirit connection. We will only consume:
- Vegan foods – no products derived from animals (no meat, eggs, dairy, honey, etc.)
- Gluten-free foods – nothing made with wheat
- Unprocessed foods – nothing packaged with more than three ingredients
- Unsweetened foods – no added sugar, honey, agave, etc.
- Alcohol-free beverages
An exception to the above rules above is the inclusion of organic eggs and/or yogurt that is organic, plain, stabilizer- and additive-free. This is a personal choice.