White Bean Kale Burgers
$1.08 per serving
- 2 cups white beans, dried ($1.30)
- 4 cups kale, finely chopped (from garden)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (from garden)
- 2 red onions ($0.55)
- 3 cloves garlic ($0.25)
- 2 eggs ($0.40)
- 1/2 cup dry roasted unsalted peanuts, finely chopped ($2.00)
- 1 tsp paprika
- dash of cayenne pepper
- dash of chipotle seasoning
- fresh herbs on hand, chopped
- 1/2 cup cornmeal ($0.30)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil (0.17)
(+ roughly $1 for spices)
($1.30+$0.55+$0.25+$0.40+$2.00+$0.30+$0.17+$1 ) = $5.97.
I averaged this recipe for 5 1/2 servings.. yeah I eat a lot. It came down to $1.08 per serving. Not bad!
Submerge beans in water and soak for 7 hours. Then, cook on high heat until tender. You can do this in bulk a few days before and use leftover beans for other recipes.
In large mixing bowl, combine kale and beans and mash until almost a paste. Add 2 tablespoons of the cornmeal and remaining ingredients except for olive oil. Refrigerate mix for at least 20 minute.
Preheat oven to 300 F.
Place remaining cornmeal on a plate. Coat hands in olive oil and form 5-8 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Dredge both sides of the burgers in cornmeal. Transfer to non-stick or parchment covered baking sheet and bake until golden, about 25 minutes.